From:
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2017 22:17:26 -0500
From: Dung-Lan Chen <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 17:01:18 +0000

We started tracking films we purchased that have public performance
rights (PPR) included in the price we were asked to pay a couple years
ago.   Our acquisitions policy has been we don't buy PPR if it's gonna
cost us extra to get it but a lot of documentary films we buy do have
PPR included in the educational/institutional pricing, so it's a good
idea to make notes of it particularly since not all expensive
documentary purchases include PPR.  The way we've been handling it is
that we (Acquisitions staff) would include a note "PPR obtained" in
the PO line item and this note would be printed on a work slip when
the item is received.  The work slip and the item would then travel to
Cataloging and Our Catalog Librarian would add a note "Public
performance rights obtained" in 590 field of MARC which is visible in
our catalog record.   We didn't go back to retroactively make the same
note for documentaries we purchased earlier prior to starting this
process as it would involve a lot of work and staff time which we
don't have.   We don't particularly keep track of PPR agreement.  A
lot of time, it's just a brief statement on the invoice or an
indication on the price to say PPR is included.   If there is a
separate sheet about PPR, we keep it together with the invoice.  We
haven't had a single request asking for the PPR agreement since the
process started.  Also the vendor/company websites where we acquired
the films often include a session about PPR regardless if PPR is part
of the education pricing, so we refer to those sites directly if
needed be, too!

Thanks,
Dung-Lan

Dung-Lan Chen
Bibliographic Services/Acquisitions Librarian
Lucy Scribner Library
Skidmore College
815 N. Broadway
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
Voicemail: 518-580-5511
Fax: 518-580-5541
Email: [log in to unmask]

From: Jessica Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 16:13:10 -0800

Hello!
I have a couple questions regarding public performance rights and how
they're managed at other libraries. If you have a moment to answer the
following, I'd be very grateful & would be happy to summarize

Does your library keep track of which DVDs they've purchased with
public performance rights (PPRs)? If so, where? (for instance, via
order records, ERM, etc.)

Does your library keep a copy of all agreements? What about passive or
click-through PPR agreements (are they printed out/saved as a PDF)?

Thank you,

------
Jessica Harris, Head of Electronic Resources & Serials Santa Clara
University Library
500 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, CA 95053 [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]
(408) 554-5356