From:
Date:
Sun, 25 Mar 2012 18:56:20 -0400
From: "Loar, Ashley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 13:06:59 -0700

Last year’s winner was from the US!

We are delighted to be able to offer a librarian a free place at the
ALPSP International Conference again this year (http://ow.ly/9PNeE).

About the conference

The ALPSP International Conference is where the international
scholarly publishing community meets. This year's venue is the Belfry,
just outside Birmingham and within minutes of major air, road and rail
transport links. The Belfry has excellent meeting, accommodation and
leisure facilities. As conference sponsor, SAGE is offering one
librarian the chance to attend for free.

This is the second year that SAGE has offered a librarian place at
this conference. Last year’s winner, Patrick Carr wrote the following
about his experiences:

“Thanks to my receipt of a SAGE travel grant, I was able to attend the
Association of Learned and Professional Society Publishers' (ALPSP)
International Conference. The conference was held from September 14th
through 16th at the beautiful Heythrop Park Hotel in Oxfordshire and
was attended by a broad spectrum of professionals engaged in issues
and challenges associated with the publication and dissemination of
knowledge.

“In my current position as Head of Electronic & Continuing Resources
Acquisitions at East Carolina University's Joyner Library, I work with
publishers on a daily basis on acquisition and licensing terms. For
this reason, attending the ALPSP conference was particularly
insightful: it enabled me to see familiar topics in the field of
librarianship (like evolving formats, patron preferences, acquisition
models, and discovery tools) being addressed from a publisher-centered
perspective.

In the current environment of tightening budgets, libraries and
publishers are both being faced with the challenges of doing more with
less. To successfully partner to address these challenges, it is
essential that both parties strive to understand the other's
perspective. I would encourage my library colleagues to consider
attendance at future ALPSP conferences in order to pursue
opportunities to strengthen those understandings.”

Enter now!

If you are a librarian or information professional, and free to attend
the conference on 11-13 September 2012, you can enter the competition
to win a sponsored place by answering the following question via
Twitter or email in 140 characters or less:

Why should librarians be talking to publishers in 2012?

Fill in your answer and send us a tweet to @SAGElibraryNews tagged
with #ALPSP or email to [log in to unmask]

Full terms and conditions for this grant can be found here
(http://www.uk.sagepub.com/alpsp2012.sp).

Kind regards,

Mithu

Mithu Lucraft (Mrs)