From:
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 2015 18:25:10 -0400
From: David Prosser <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 08:30:31 +0000

Thanks Alicia

The thrust of my very short (and, as Rick Anderson points out,
ambiguously worded) post was addressing the first point.  Usage and
citation half-lives are often used to justify varying embargo periods,
but the link between either usage or citation half-lives and
cancellations has not been made.

The ALPSP survey is rather simplistic.  We know that freely available
post-embargo material is way down the list of criteria that librarians
use to make purchasing decisions (for example, this was the finding of
a report from the British Academy).  Cost, fit with the academic
mission of the institution, etc. all are much, much more important.

As an aside, the question of usage - in the sense Rick used it - in a
big deal environment is an interesting one.  Many institutions are
purchasing - through big deals - access to journals that are never or
rarely used at their institution.  The nature of the current market
means that purchasing decisions and usage information about individual
journals have become only loosely coupled.

Alicia quotes the Journal of Clinical Investigation as an example of
where short embargoes lead to difficulties.  This isn’t quite
like-for-like as in this case the material was made freely available
from the journal itself, including the final ‘version of record’.  I
believe it is the same for the Annuals of Mathematics - the complete
journal, including final versions of papers, was made freely available
by the publisher.  That’s very different to what we are talking about
here - which is the accepted manuscript.  If you present customers
with a product and say ‘you can either subscribe or not subscribe -
but in either case you get exactly the same product’ you may have some
trouble with subscribers.  However, if you believe that the publisher
is creating significant addition value in the version of record as
oppose to the authors’ unformatted accepted manuscripts then surely
those that value the additions will continue to subscribe.

I guess the problem would come if the price you charge is perceived to
be greatly in excess of the value that you add.  I suppose in that
case one would be tempted to apply long embargoes.

David