From:
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2013 18:17:05 -0500
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 15:59:30 -0600

And you think a court is going to be able to make a judgment about
whether a translation is poor or not? That's like asking a court about
whether a painting is aesthetically pleasing or not. What standard is
going to be used? And does a poor translation necessarily harm an
author's reputation, especially if it is known that the author had no
hand in approving the translation? On the other hand, the CC-BY
license alone removes any possibility for the author to control the
quality of the translation. Is that a sacrifice all scholars are
willing to make for the sake of wider dissemination, even in flawed
translations? Klaus seems to think so. I do not.

Sandy Thatcher