From:
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2012 17:18:13 -0400
From: Kevin Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 23:21:59 +0000

First, two concessions to the (initial) position of the University of
Alabama.  One, although there is fair use recognized in trademark law,
this is probably not it.  Two, it is true that a trademark holder can
lose their mark if they do not police it.  If the mark ceases to
identify the source of goods or services, which is the fundamental
purpose of a trademark, courts can refuse to enforce it.

But even with those concessions, it seems to me there was a much
better way.  The University could simply have offered the baker a
license, for free or for a nominal fee.  That would prevent the
possibility of losing the mark and would have created very little
burden to enforce quality, since presumably she would be the only
cookie licensee.  Without resort to the literature, I cannot name a
specific mark holder, but I know that some have taken this approach in
order to preserve the mark and still garner some good will (or at
least avoid ill will).

Kevin L. Smith, J.D.
Director of Scholarly Communication
Duke University