From:
Date:
Sat, 15 Sep 2012 14:49:02 -0400
From: Linda Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 07:19:17 -0400

I find one point in Cynthia's posting misleading. PubMed does not
convert keywords like "heart attack" to MESH headings. MESH headings
are a more powerful way to search and can be searched through PubMed.
Try both searches in the basic search box and you will get at least
5,000 hits difference in retrieval. (Using quotes around each phrase
makes the retrieval difference even more extensive!)

I think Paul's statement is spot on. GScholar content is less reliable
- not unreliable but less reliable - requiring MORE analysis that I
personally do not hear users doing. Also important is the algorithm
upon which retrieval in Google Scholar is based rewards popularity -
even if that popularity is based on a bad work that has been cited
repeatedly because it is so poorly done!

Educating the user is important. GScholar is just one tool in the box
and you need to know how each tool works, its strengths, its
weaknesses, and its coverage and apply time for analysis of results.
Unfortunately, users do not educate themselves but rely on the tool to
translate their words into an effective search - without bothering to
find out if it really does so.

Linda Matula Schwartz, MDE, AHIP
Director, Library Services
Lehigh Valley Health Network