From:
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2012 21:26:07 -0400
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 15:05:04 -0700

I am sorry to hear that they laughed at you, David.

As I said in my previous note, it seems that NDAs are on the way out,
so there is little to argue about here.  I am personally in favor of
business arrangements between individual players and not those
mediated by large unrelated bodies, but then I am old-fashioned:  I
buy books in my local bookstore, prefer local merchants to chains,
etc.  So I view the NDA as the codification of a gentleman's
agreement.  But we live in different times.  Libraries are certainly
right to see some of their vendors as impersonal corporate marauders,
and some of the executives at these firms are proud to be so styled.

So if you will forgive this romantic, please take a look at trading
practices in, say, 5 years, and let me know if in the absence of NDAs
whether the terms have gone up or down.  For that matter, please do a
retrospective analysis of OA publishing and determine if the cost of
scholarly materials has gone up or down.

Joe Esposito