From:
Date:
Mon, 11 Jul 2016 20:09:11 -0400
From: <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 09:34:51 +0200

Dear Mr. Hames,

For the unambiguous identification of institutions (and their
libraries) I recommend you to add a new field for the ISNI to your
registration form.

Most academic institutions have been assigned a unique International
Standard Name Identifier:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Standard_Name_Identifier

This ISNI system is supported by national libraries and their Virtual
International Authority File (VIAF) service: https://viaf.org/.

Regards
Joachim Meier
Dr.-Ing. Joachim E. Meier
Head of Library
Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB) (http://www.ptb.de)
PF 3345                 Tel. +49-531-592-8131
38023 Braunschweig    Fax. +49-531-592-8137
GERMANY                 E-mail: [log in to unmask]

ISNI: 0000 0001 2186 1887

From: Ian Hames <[log in to unmask]
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2016 08:48:23 +0000

Hi Doug

The main issue is that publishers have never had a way of verifying
the IPs they are asked to add to, or were already in, their access
management systems. Here are some of the main causes of incorrect,
overlapping or duplicated IP ranges we have experienced: -

1.      Typos - large ranges added that actually cover multiple
institutions or, in some cases, several countries

2.      Housekeeping - expired or incorrect ranges are not deleted for
fear of denying access to bone fide users

3.      Housekeeping - Ranges not split out or adjoined correctly
after mergers and acquisitions

4.      Misinterpreting - large ranges consisting of multiple
institutions repeated on the single accounts of each included
institution

5.      Fraud - rogue intermediaries concealing additional
institutions or their own IPs within the ranges of bone fide customers

Cleaning up the IPs a publisher holds is quite a simple process for
us. Of course, any concerned publisher should get in touch and
libraries will soon be able to check the IPs participating publishers
hold for them at www.theIPregistry.org

Regards

Ian Hames
Sales & Operations Director