From:
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 2014 21:11:24 +0300
From: Jean-Claude Guédon <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 10:15:54 -0500

Sandy is quite right. This said, university librarians are not against
university presses; they just try reacting to unfortunate financial
situations. This means that libraries and university presses should
work much more closely together, and there are some signs that this is
beginning to happen.

Remember, as a set of institutions, the universities of the world have
all they need to run and manage a communication system that is fairer,
more efficient and cheaper than the present system. All is needed is
more collaboration and less competition.

With regard to competition, never forget that whoever organizes and
runs a competitive system gains power out of it. Competition shapes
the nature of the effort to be accomplished; it helps identify
champions; it does precious little to improve the general quality of
all the participants. Some degree of competition in some limite,
elite, groups, may make sense, but as a general tool to manage complex
systems, it is inadequate, not to say counterproductive. The
competitive essence of the US health system is a perfect example of
all this: lots of Nobel prizes and a general life expectancy for the
country at abysmal levels.

Jean-Claude Guédon