From:
Date:
Thu, 28 Apr 2016 23:53:22 -0400
From: Duncan Hilchey <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 12:39:28 -0400

Thanks All for your interest in the Community Supported Journal concept.

I¹m very encouraged by the solidarity. As a nonprofit with a mission to
make the world a little better, we like to think we have a lot in common
with libraries and librarians!

I have also received some feedback off-list and I appreciate the candor.
There is considerable risk for us financially since we don¹t know if any
shareholding research group or organization will put their resources where
their mouth is. As for individuals, we recently conducted a survey of our
authors (n=403) who as a group expressed support for JAFSCD becoming OA.
Indeed, respondents reported broad agreement that OA maximizes the
distribution of their food systems scholarship while simultaneously
increasing accessibility, especially to practitioners in the field who
benefit from their applied research. But there was also hesitation among
some authors to pay submission and publishing fees (many of our authors
are social scientists with limited resources), and some suggested it
smacked of a "pay to play² scheme (which we¹re seeing pop up so much these
days). One respondent said just the image of pay to play (even if not
true) could damage the reputation of our Journal.

With regard to libraries, there is the concern that they might similarly
report philosophical support for the idea of converting their
subscriptions to OA Shares, but that they ultimately (especially state
supported libraries) would have difficulty in making/justifying the
switch. Why should they pay the freight of others? There is a wide range
of economic realities libraries/librarians are dealing with and my sense
is that many would struggle making this a priority if just for the greater
good.

Perhaps we should not ³request,² but actually require submission and
publishing fees from those author¹s whose institutions are not OA
Shareholders?

Thanks to all for your input and suggested resources!

Duncan
Duncan Hilchey
Co-Coordinator, Lyson Center for Civic Agriculture and Food Systems
<http://www.lysoncenter.org>; Editor in chief, Journal of Agriculture,
Food Systems, and Community Development <http://www.agdevjournal.com>

JAFSCD <http://www.agdevjournal.com> is published by the Thomas A. Lyson
Center for Civic Agriculture and Food Systems, a project of the Center for
Transformative Action <http://www.centerfortransformativeaction.org/>, an
affiliate of Cornell University.