From:
Date:
Mon, 25 May 2015 18:19:20 -0400
From: Stevan Harnad <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 11:15:20 -0400

On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 9:27 PM, LIBLICENSE <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> From: "Jean-Claude Guédon" <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 12:24:51 -0400
>
> Entirely agreed with Stevan Harnad, except for one point:
>
> Paying extra to obtain OA is not Gold OA; it is APC-Gold OA. Gold OA
> includes many journals that are gratis to authors and libre to
> readers.

Of course Jean-Claude Guédon is right. Even if I don't mention
explicitly every time, the meaning of OA is free online access (to
peer-reviewed research), the meaning of Green OA is free online access
provided by the author, and the meaning of Gold OA is free online
access provided by the journal, whether the journal is
subscription-based, APC-based, or subsidized.

I ought to know, since I have just accepted to be editor-in-chief of a
Gold OA journal -- Animal Sentience -- that is neither APC-based nor
subscription based: It is subsidized by the Humane Society Institute
for Science and Policy (HSISP).

Stevan Harnad