From:
Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 2016 23:48:10 -0400
From: Heather Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 13:41:35 +0000

One of the projects of Sustaining the Knowledge Commons is a
longitudinal study of open access article processing charges (OA
APCs). One goal of this study is to identify trends in pricing as soon
as possible. One potential trend that seems logical to watch for is
price rises beyond inflationary levels year after year. The reason it
is logical to consider this possibility is because many of the
commercial publishers that have pursued this pricing strategy in the
subscriptions market (as documented by ARL) are now moving into the OA
APC market. For example, in 2008 Springer acquired OA publishing
pioneer BioMedCentral.

It is too soon for conclusions, however Sara Wheatley's analysis of
BioMedCentral pricing changes from 2010 - 2016 suggests average APC
price increases well beyond U.S. inflation. Details here:

https://sustainingknowledgecommons.org/2016/04/13/comparison-of-biomed-central-apcs-from-2010-2016/

To view other articles as we pursue our 2016 survey and analysis,
following an open research approach, use the open access article
processing charges tab on the SKC blog:

https://sustainingknowledgecommons.org/category/open-access-article-processing-charges/

best,

--