From:
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 2015 19:10:41 -0400
From: Valerie Yaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 21:15:02 +0000

It’s great to see discussion of ebooks and various models.  One point
I would like to clarify is that the Books at JSTOR program does
include frontlist titles.  We currently offer more than 7,000 ebooks
with a copyright year of 2013 or later; of those, 1,700 have a
copyright year of 2015.  Because all ebooks on JSTOR are 100% DRM-free
and available for ILL (as Scott noted), some publishers have elected
to leave some of their newest books out for now.  These publishers are
concerned about the possible impact of these models on revenue they
generate from sales of titles adopted by professors for classes. We
understand this concern and will continue to work with publishers and
libraries to develop sustainable access models that broaden and
increase the value of monographs by making them much easier to find
and use.  In fact, our publisher partners have moved more than 7,700
single-user titles to JSTOR’s unlimited-user model since we
transitioned to offering the unlimited model exclusively earlier this
year. We are monitoring these titles to ascertain the impact of this
change on usage and sales.

If anyone has questions about our program and the content available, I
would be happy to talk with them.

All the best,

Valerie

Valerie Yaw