From:
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2017 22:20:45 -0400
From: Heather Staines <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 18:47:41 -0400

Please forgive any cross-posting.

https://hypothes.is/blog/esther-dyson-keynote/

We are excited and honored to announce that digital pioneer Esther
Dyson will deliver the opening keynote at I Annotate this year in San
Francisco on Thursday morning, May 4, 2017.

Across her multifaceted career, Dyson has engaged deeply in the fields
where annotation thrives, including education, journalism, publishing,
research, science, and technology. This year’s I Annotate themes of
fact checking, digital literacy, and user engagement connect directly
to her experience. “I’m especially excited to speak at I Annotate,”
says Dyson, “I started my career as a fact-checker for Forbes magazine
and have a longtime passion both for the truth and for freedom of
speech.” Dyson was also an early investor in Flickr, which pioneered
web based image annotation, and social tagging company Del.icio.us,
which give her an intimate familiarity with the technical goals and
user benefits that an interoperable annotation paradigm can bring.

I Annotate 2017 is the fifth annual gathering dedicated to advancing
digital annotation practices, standards and technologies. With the
W3C’s recent publication of a formal standard for web annotation, the
rise of challenges around the credibility of news, and more publishers
implementing and experimenting with annotation, this promises to be a
banner year for fascinating discussion, deep learning, and
opportunities for action.

Dyson is executive founder of The Way to Wellville. Wellville is a
10-year nonprofit project mentoring five small US communities to
cultivate health among their residents and generate data about how
they do it. The ultimate goal is to show the value of investing in
health as an asset, and to inspire others to do so.

Dyson is also a trained cosmonaut, has served as chairman of ICANN and
the Electronic Frontier Foundation, wrote the best-selling, widely
translated book Release 2.0: A Design for Living in the Digital Age,
and has served on the boards of many companies, including 23andMe,
Luxoft, Meetup, Wellpass, XCOR and Yandex, and nonprofits, including
ExpandEDSchools, The Long Now Foundation and the Open Humans
Foundation.

Join us with Esther Dyson in San Francisco in May.