From:
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2012 23:16:40 -0500
From: "Randy S. Kiefer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 17:50:35 -0500

The CLOCKSS Archive Is Pleased to Announce the Participation of Four
New Publishers in Its Digital Preservation Archive: SPIE, IGI Global,
Multi-Science Publishing, and the National Academies Press.

Full announcements can be found at http://www.clockss.org/clockss/News.

*apologies for cross posting*

----------

SPIE

SPIE Director of Publications Eric Pepper noted, “SPIE believes that
the community of researchers, educators, and students who are involved
in the multidisciplinary fields of optics and photonics must have
access to the literature of these fields in perpetuity.  In fact, we
are digitizing our earliest publications at this time in order to
expand such access. Participation in CLOCKSS is part of our program to
ensure this access into the future.”

About SPIE: SPIE is the international society for optics and
photonics, founded in 1955 to advance light-based technologies.
Serving approximately 180,000 constituents from more than 170
countries, the Society advances emerging technologies through
interdisciplinary information exchange, continuing education,
publications, patent precedent, and career and professional growth.
The SPIE Digital Library includes over 325,000 items from Proceedings
of SPIE, SPIE Journals, and SPIE eBooks. http://spie.org

----------

IGI Global

Saeed Otufat-Shamsi, IGI Global's Senior Director of Business
Development, commented, "IGI Global supports the library's role as the
custodians of archived content, ensuring that electronic content is
protected for future generations of researchers. We are pleased to
partner with CLOCKSS to provide a permanent archive of our electronic
scholarly journals and books through one of the most advanced digital
preservation initiatives. The solution of a decentralized,
geographically disparate preservation model ensures that the digital
assets of the community will survive intact."

About IGI Global: Since 1988, IGI Global has provided comprehensive
research materials on computer science and information technology
management, focusing on the ways in which information technology
affects human activities and interactions across disciplines. With
offices in Hershey, PA, New York City, and Vancouver, BC, IGI Global
is a leading multimedia publisher of books, journals, teaching cases,
and databases covering the areas of education, social science, library
science, healthcare, business management, public administration, and
computer science. http://www.igi-global.com/

----------

Multi-Science Publishing

Commented Multi-Science Director Bill Hughes, “The coming of the
digital age has provided huge benefits for all engaged in scholarly
communication, whether as researchers, librarians or publishers.
However, the spectre exists, for future generations, of a landscape of
broken links and unretrievable research. CLOCKSS activities make that
possibility less likely, so we are pleased to be working with them to
ensure that our modest contribution to learning is preserved for the
benefit of future generations.”

About Multi-Science Publishing: Established for over 50 years,
Multi-Science specializes in publishing journals that fill gaps in the
scientific literature and are responses to technological developments
that call new disciplines into existence.  All Multi-Sciences primary
journals are fully refereed. As well as journals, Multi-Science
publishes books in the same subject areas as its journals.
http://www.multi-science.co.uk

----------

National Academies Press

Barbara Kline Pope, Executive Director of the National Academies
Press, remarked, “We trust CLOCKSS to take care of archiving the
nearly 4,000 books that document decades of authoritative information
and knowledge of the National Academy of Sciences and its affiliated
organizations.  In addition, we know that these important works will
be accessible if, for some reason, we are no longer able to make them
freely available.”

About National Academies Press: The National Academies Press (NAP) was
created by the National Academies to publish the reports issued by the
National Academy of Sciences, the National Academy of Engineering, the
Institute of Medicine, and the National Research Council, all
operating under a charter granted by the Congress of the United
States. The NAP publishes more than 200 books a year on a wide range
of topics in science, engineering, and health, capturing the most
authoritative views on important issues in science and health policy.
The institutions represented by the NAP are unique in that they
attract the nation’s leading experts in every field to serve on their
award-winning panels and committees. http://www.nap.edu/

About CLOCKSS:

The CLOCKSS (Controlled LOCKSS) Archive is a not-for-profit joint
venture between the world's leading scholarly publishers and research
libraries whose mission is to build a sustainable, geographically
distributed dark archive with which to ensure the long-term survival
of Web-based scholarly publications for the benefit of the greater
global research community.  http://www.clockss.org