From:
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2013 11:36:17 -0500
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 00:42:49 -0600

Odlyzko has long been one of the most interesting commentators on the
evolution of scholarly communication, and this new paper doesn't
disappoint. It is chock full of insights and provocative arguments.

I do agree with his general view of the positive contributions of the
Big Deal, which is refreshing to hear coming from someone in academe.
On the other hand, I must take exception to his assessment of
copyediting for journal articles as "useless."  Obviously, he has had
some bad experiences with copyeditors, but this is no reason to
declare copyediting as a whole an unnecessary cost in the system.  I
do accept his point, though, that copyediting in the digital age needs
to adapt itself better to the medium and dispense with some practices
that make sense only for print journals.

As for the general theme of the changing roles of libraries and
publishers, I think he may not be foreseeing as much disintermediation
of libraries arising from the advance of Gold OA as I do, though he
does acknowledge that publishers will likely succeed as well
financially with a Gold OA system as they do now with a
subscription-based system.

As for books, it puzzles me that he thinks the move toward making
books available digitally will result in more marginalization of
libraries. Perhaps eventually this will happen as books move toward an
OA model also, but right now the offerings of Project Muse, JSTOR,
Oxford Online, etc., with books included along with journals all are
based on the subscription model making libraries key players in the
current evolution of books as digital objects.

Among the many perceptive observations Odylzko makes is his remark
that the biggest Universities pay more to hire their football coaches
than it cost their libraries to buy a subscription to all of
Elsevier's journals.

Sandy Thatcher