From:
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2017 16:28:43 -0400
From: "Sowards, Steve" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 14:48:27 +0000

Good summary in The New Yorker today too, as you may already have
seen: http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/paging-dr-fraud-the-fake-publishers-that-are-ruining-science?mbid=synd_digg
.

In our library, we had a recent in-house conversation about how to
spot predatory journals. In working up a list of "clues" to share with
our campus faculty, we ran across an indexing and abstracting service
that has some of the usual hallmarks: fees, intriguing promises, etc.
Can it be that there are now also predatory indexes, that serve
predatory journals? The one we looked at is International Scientific
Indexing, or "ISI" (which of course is reminiscent of a legitimate I&A
service). From their site a:

http://www.isindexing.com/isi/payment.php

"After you pay the indexing fee your journal is indexed with in 4
hours after the approval of our board..." Fast work.

Now that Beall's list is gone, is there any utility in consulting the
list of 2,094 journals at "ISI"?
http://www.isindexing.com/isi/journals.php. Surprisingly, I've
actually heard of the publisher for a few of the journals listed
there.

Steven Sowards
Associate Director for Collections
Michigan State University Libraries