From:
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 2015 19:16:01 -0400
From: "Pennington, Buddy D." <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 17:10:07 +0000

The ALCTS Continuing Resources Section College and Research Libraries
Interest Group invites you to attend the following program at ALA
Annual in San Francisco:

________________________________

Open Classrooms, Open Libraries: Academic library services supporting
the creation and use of open education resources

Sunday, June 28th, 8:30-9:30 am
Moscone Convention Center room 236-238 (S)
http://alaac15.ala.org/node/29157

Speaker: Sara Faye Cohen, Open Textbook Network

Title:  The Open Textbook Network: libraries working together to
advance open textbooks

hosting upwards of 175 complete open textbook titles, has built these
titles’ credibility and increased faculty exposure to open textbooks
by incentivizing textbook reviews by faculty from institutions across
the country.  Libraries have been at the core of our outreach and are
our most integral partners in reaching faculty and building capacity
on campuses for open textbooks.  At the invitation of our partner
libraries, we’ve visited dozens of schools to seed and support their
open education programs.  As a result, our partner institutions’ data
shows that over 40% of their faculty attendees to our workshops adopt
an open textbook. This small pilot group of faculty has saved students
over $410,000 in textbook costs in less than three years.

This presentation will introduce attendees to the Open Textbook
Network - a consortium of institutions working to help faculty
overcome barriers to adoption of open textbooks, increase
institutional capacity to support faculty adoption and use of open
textbooks, and collaboratively develop new understandings and best
practices of open textbook adoption and use.  Attendees will learn
more about what’s to come for the Open Textbook Library, our partners,
our data, and why open textbooks are a sustainable avenue towards
initiating and sustaining open education programming.

Bio: Sarah Faye Cohen is the Managing Director of the Open Textbook
Network.  Formerly the Associate University Librarian at Cal Poly, San
Luis Obispo, Sarah joined the Open Textbook Network to foster
libraries’ strategic role in advancing access, discovery, and
engagement with open textbooks.  Sarah is a graduate of Smith College
and GSLIS at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, where she
was awarded the Rediger Award for Intellectual Curiosity.  She is a
two-time award winner of the Association of College and Research
Libraries Excellence in Academic Libraries Award.

Speaker: Beth Turtle, Kansas State University

Title: The Open/Alternative Textbook Initiative

operating at Kansas State University since 2013. Funding partners
include the Student Governing Association, K-State Libraries and more
recently, central administration. This project awards stipends up to
$5,000 to K-State faculty to develop an alternative to the traditional
print textbook. To date, awards totaling $150,000 have been made. Over
the next year, it is projected that over 12,000 students in 32 courses
will not have to buy textbooks saving students nearly $1,000,000. In
addition, faculty are finding that benefits beyond cost savings
include the use of more relevant, interactive and timely learning
materials. This presentation will cover funding of the project,
collaborations involved in the operation of the initiative, and a look
at preliminary assessment data.

Bio: Beth Turtle is the Scholarly Communications librarian at K-State
Libraries. She is a strong advocate for open access at K-State and has
been involved in various OA initiatives including the K-State Open
Access Publishing Fund, New Prairie Press, copyright and author rights
consultation, and the Open/Alternative Textbook Initiative. She holds
an MLIS from Emporia State University and a BS from the University of
Kansas.

ALCTS Continuing Resources Section College and Research Libraries
Interest Group co-Chairs

Chris Bulock
Electronic Resources Librarian
California State University, Northridge

Buddy Pennington
Director of Collections and Access Management
University of Missouri--Kansas City