LIBLICENSE-L  April 2013

LIBLICENSE-L April 2013

Re: "Cost savings" (Re: What are we to do with feral publishers?)

Sun, 14 Apr 2013 17:59:58 -0400

From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 08:20:09 -0500

One of those "different ways" has to do with the revised dissertation,
Many librarians have ceased including these titles in their approval
plans because they subscribe to ProQuest's dissertation database.
Editors know this, so are less eager to publish books based on
dissertations because they won't sell as well as other monographs.
Tenure committees, especially in the humanities, continue to expect
junior scholars to publish one or two books to qualify for career
advancement.  Each of these actors is making a decision that is
rational relative to the goals of the particular actor--librarian,
editor, committee--but as a whole the decisions add up to systemic
dysfunctionality, or what Fred calls a "tragedy of the commons."

Sandy Thatcher