Current Liblicense Archive - Re: Free and open access

List archives since November 2011, after the list migrated to the Center for Research Libraries.

LIBLICENSE-L  May 2013

LIBLICENSE-L May 2013

Re: Free and open access

Mon, 6 May 2013 15:33:27 -0400

From: Sally Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 22:07:53 +0100

If we're talking about journals, the statistics I researched a few years ago
may be helpful (Mapping the journal publishing landscape: how much do we
know?  Learned Publishing 20, 299-310,2007 -
http://dx.doi.org/10.1087/095315107X239654)

At that time, it appeared from my analysis of the figures in Ulrich's that
of the 23,588 active, refereed academic/scholarly journals, about half
(11,578) were - to judge from the publisher name - nonprofit.   Perhaps
surprisingly, the nonprofit publishers were not noticeably smaller than the
commercial ones, although the 'big 5' (now 4), Elsevier, Springer, T&F,
Blackwell and Wiley published 5770 journals between them.

Hope this helps

Sally

Sally Morris
Email:  [log in to unmask]