Current Liblicense Archive - Re: Harvard Business Review license

List archives since November 2011, after the list migrated to the Center for Research Libraries.

LIBLICENSE-L  June 2013

LIBLICENSE-L June 2013

Re: Harvard Business Review license

Wed, 5 Jun 2013 18:22:56 -0400

From: Cary Jardine <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 15:51:59 -0400

When we first noticed this in on HBR articles in our EBSCO database a
few years ago, I called and talked with someone in their licensing
department and got nowhere (as you might imagine).  While we felt that
this was a fairly reprehensible move on their part, we did feel bound
by our licensing agreement with them and told our faculty who used
this resource most often what their options were.  Some of them chose
to use other resources, some felt that HBR articles were still a
valuable and necessary component of their course materials and opted
for the pay-per-student option.  I believe they may have required the
students to pay for the articles, since they weren't assigning a
textbook for purchase.  I find HBR's "no course readings, no links,
not even a whisper of a mention on a syllabus" stance truly puzzling
especially in light of this statement from Harvard's provost:

“The goal of university research is the creation, dissemination, and
preservation of knowledge.  At Harvard, where so much of our research
is of global significance, we have an essential responsibility to
distribute the fruits of our scholarship as widely as possible.”

Steven E. Hyman
Provost of Harvard University

Cary Jardine, MLS
Research and Instruction Librarian