Current Liblicense Archive - Re: A forum for authors to review journals?

List archives since November 2011, after the list migrated to the Center for Research Libraries.

LIBLICENSE-L  June 2013

LIBLICENSE-L June 2013

Re: A forum for authors to review journals?

Wed, 5 Jun 2013 18:16:18 -0400

From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 09:40:57 -0500

Let me ask Kevin, in return, how useful he thinks student evaluations
of teachers are, as at the "Rate Your Professors" site where
professors are, among other things, rated for their "hotness."

I suspect such a forum for complaining about journal practices would
be as useful, or as useless, as student evaluations are--i.e., a very
mixed bag.

As noted in my comment to the Chronicle piece, much better was the
journal reviewing that the Times Higher Education Supplement used to
do (and maybe still does). That kind of reviewing would surely expose
predatory journals in a more definitive way than Beall's list does.

Sandy Thatcher