Monospaced Font

Re: Nature article: 120+ "gibberish papers"

Fri, 28 Feb 2014 00:14:16 -0500

From: Zac Rolnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 22:26:25 -0500

Anthony,

I agree that it is hard for the publisher to really know the quality
of articles we publish since we are usually not academics in those
areas, but I think we have a sense when the quality is there and when
it is not. The idea that the publisher relies on the editor who
relies on the guest editor seems like we are distancing ourselves from
our responsibility as publishers. Furthermore, I don't see how online
editorial systems necessarily improve quality control and I might even
argue the peer review is declining as the number of articles increase
beyond the available pool of high quality reviewers. This was not
just bad science, but "computer generated gibberish". Unfortunately,
I happen to believe that there is a lot of human-generated gibberish
also getting published.

Zac Rolnik
now publishers