Fraud and piracy costs the scholarly publishing industry at least $400 million

Wed, 5 Feb 2014 20:09:42 -0500

From: Danny Kingsley <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 01:00:32 +0000

Hello all,

The following Seminar being hosted by ALPSP makes the comment that
“Fraud and piracy costs the scholarly publishing industry at least
�400 million” (see below).

That seems extraordinary. For all I know it is correct, and it may
relate to book publishing, not journal publishing,  but I am wondering
how that number was obtained. What kind of fraud are we talking about?

This Wiley post explains some of the issues and some of the ways the
publishing industry is countering the problem -

http://exchanges.wiley.com/blog/2011/05/11/piracy-fraud-and-other-challenges-for-publishers/

If the figure is true it might explain some of the actions by
publishers to clamp down on copyright. But if it is true, and there is
evidence, it would be helpful to see this evidence.

I have to admit it does bring to mind the ‘Copyright Math’ TED talk -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZadCj8O1-0

Danny

Fraud and Piracy – Friday 11 April 2014 (London, UK)

NOTE: The web address does not appear to be working]
http://alpsp.org/Ebusiness/ProductCatalog/1404FAP.aspx?ID=396

Chair: Andrew Pitts, Publisher Solutions International Ltd

Speakers include: Richard Balkwill, Copytrain, Dominic McGonigal, C8
Associates, Roy Kaufman, Copyright Clearance Center, Paul Doda,
Elsevier, Andrew Pitts, Publisher Solutions International, Joe
Esposito, Management Consultant.

Fraud and piracy costs the scholarly publishing industry at least �400
million. How much does it cost you - and what can you do about it? The
last 15 years has seen tremendous change in the distribution of
scholarly content and threats to the concept of ownership of
intellectual property. Paper subscriptions by individuals and
departmental libraries have been replaced by licence deals to
universities and consortia. Content itself can be copied and loaded in
a matter of seconds onto sites not authorized by the content owner.
Publishers, authors and legitimate subscribers themselves all lose as
perfidious individuals exploit the system. But publishers can fight
back. This seminar explains the problem and shows how publishers can
detect and manage fraud and piracy, and potentially prevent it from
recurring.

Dr Danny Kingsley
Executive Officer
Australian Open Access Support Group (AOASG)
Menzies Library, Building 2
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200 Australia

E: [log in to unmask]