Re: Amazon.com announces financial results for 4th Q 2013

Mon, 3 Feb 2014 18:04:29 -0500

From: Karin Wikoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 08:34:56 -0500

Amazon is one of our top 3 sources for hard copy books, along with YBP
and a local jobber, Busca.  When Amazon works, it works well, has
great discounts and amazing breadth in their offerings.  However, when
there is a problem, no one is worse for getting the problem solved.  I
have had it take literally more than a year to resolve a tax issue,
where they mistakenly charged us tax on an item when we are
non-profit.  For a short while, Amazon had a program for "corporate"
(i.e. non-private-individual) customers.  We had our own dedicated
customer rep, a plan where if we spent more in the current year than
the previous year we got bigger discounts, etc.  That really helped a
lot and was the first and only sign that Amazon really had any
interest in their library customers at all.  Then they cancelled the
program very suddenly with no communication to the customers that they
had.  (That was part of why it took a year to get our credit card
problem resolved -- I kept trying to get in touch with our rep and he
kept not responding.  I finally tracked him down and it turned out he
was working in a totally other department of Amazon.  He was the first
one to tell me they had done away with corporate accounts for months).

If we could get away from using Amazon, we'd be delighted.  But for
now, their stock and prices are so good that often we just have to buy
from them.  Even though we know that if and when we have any problems,
it will be a major effort and a lot of time to get it fixed.

We do not buy e-books from Amazon (I shudder to think of the
hoop-jumping to get an appropriate license for a college).  We buy
mostly ebrary titles via YBP's GOBI service, but we also buy Oxford,
Gale, and other publisher's titles through YBP, so long as they are
deliverable on the ebrary, EBSCO, GVRL or Oxford Ref platforms.  We do
not currently support any other e-book platforms.

If that helps.

Karin

Karin Wikoff
Electronic and Technical Services Librarian
Ithaca College Library
953 Danby Rd
Ithaca, NY 14850

Phone: 1-607-274-1364