Re: Amazon.com announces financial results for 4th Q 2013

Sun, 2 Feb 2014 18:22:33 -0500

From: Amy Schuler <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 10:21:49 -0500

Hello,
I buy nearly all of my library books from Amazon, with the exceptions
of: a small handful of books direct from publishers (when there are
conference discounts), and my local bookstore (rare).  I also license
a couple of small ebook collections from publishers, for whatever that
is worth...

Context: my library is a very small independent research library
serving a staff of >125 people, give or take (less in reality, since
some of the staff are admin support who do not typically use library
resources).  Our primary interests are scientific databases and
journals so that is where I spend the overwhelming majority of my
budget.  I maintain a tiny book budget, that I use to buy about 150
books/year, on average.  Amazon works great for me.  Some of these I
buy used through Amazon Marketplace, which is excellent!

Hope this is useful,

Amy Schuler
Director, Library & Information Services
Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies
Millbrook, NY
http://www.caryinstitute.org