LIBLICENSE-L  October 2014

LIBLICENSE-L October 2014

Re: Query re mandatory deposit of theses and dissertations

Sun, 5 Oct 2014 08:19:03 -0400

From: "Wagstaff, D John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 14:18:41 +0000

I'm new to this list, so please excuse me if the following topic has
already been extensively discussed here. I have a slightly different
problem from the one dealt with below -- which is, that our School of
Music wishes access to  DMA (Doctor of Musical Arts) theses and
dissertations that are completed at this institution and deposited in
our institutional online repository to be restricted to UIUC members
only. I"m slightly uncomfortable about this on the basis that as I
understand it the student writing the dissertation/thesis can choose
to distribute it as widely, or as narrowly, as they themselves see
fit; and often they *want* prospective employers to be able to click
on a link and be able to see their work, which clearly wouldn't be
possible under the scenario I've noted above.

Has anyone else had similar experience? Anything to share, please?

John

John Wagstaff
Head, Music & Performing Arts Library
School of Music
Urbana IL61801
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

From: David Stern <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 08:59:13 -0500

I have written a recent article on student embargo issues which
addresses such considerations. The article calls for training whenever
there are faculty/student interactions that might generate embargo
conditions.

"Student Embargoes Within Institutional Repositories: Faculty Early
Transparency Concerns."  Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly
Communication 2 (2): eP1080 (9 pages) (March 2014);

http://jlsc-pub.org/jlsc/vol2/iss2/6/

Any comments would be appreciated.

David