Current Liblicense Archive - Major international associations reaffirm their support for immediate open access to research articles

List archives since November 2011, after the list migrated to the Center for Research Libraries.

LIBLICENSE-L  October 2014

LIBLICENSE-L October 2014

Major international associations reaffirm their support for immediate open access to research articles

Tue, 21 Oct 2014 14:35:34 -0400

From: Kathleen Shearer <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 03:43:15 -0400

(sorry for any cross posting)

Major international associations reaffirm their support for immediate
open access to research articles

On the occasion of Open Access Week, COAR and other international
associations are reaffirming their support for immediate open access
to research results.

As organizations committed to the principle that access to information
advances discovery, accelerates innovation and improves education, we
endorse the policies and practices that enable Open Access –
immediate, barrier free access to and reuse of scholarly articles.

Policies that promote Open Access are increasingly being adopted world
wide by research funders, academic institutions and national
governments in order to improve the use and value of scholarly
research. We fully support such policies and the dual avenues for
implementing them: open access repositories and open access journals.
These policies play an important role in creating an environment where
our collective investments in research can be maximized for the
benefit of the public, and for society at large.

Many policies have employed the use of embargo periods – delayed
access to research articles for a short period of time to help protect
publishers’ subscription revenue as they shift to new business models.
We consider the use of embargo periods as an acceptable transitional
mechanism to help facilitate a wholesale shift towards Open Access.
However, embargo periods dilute the benefits of open access policies
and we believe that, if they are adopted, they should be no more than
6 months for the life and physical sciences, 12 months for social
sciences and humanities.  We further believe that mechanisms for
reducing – or eliminating – embargo periods should be included in any
Open Access policy.

Any delay in the open availability of research articles curtails
scientific progress and stifles innovation, and places unnecessary
constraints in delivering the benefits of research back to the public.

We urge all organizations and individuals that support immediate open
access to endorse the statement available here.

Numerous associations and institutions from around the world have
already lent their support to this statement.

Current signatories are:

COAR: Confederation of Open Access Repositories
EIFL: Electronic Information for Libraries
LIBER: Ligue des Bibliothèques Européennes de Recherche – Association
of European Research Libraries
National Science Library, Chinese Academy of Sciences
OpenAIRE: Open Access Infrastructure for Research in Europe
SPARC: Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition
Electronic Frontier Foundation, USA
Research Libraries of the United Kingdom
Coaliton for Action “Copyright for Education and Research”
(Aktionsbündnis “Urheberrecht für Bildung und Wissenschaft”), Germany
Australian National University
AOASG: Australian Open Access Support Group
INRIA: Institut national de recherche en informatique et en automatique, France
NEREUS: Network of European Libraries in Economics and Social Sciences
Carnegie Mellon University, USA
Association of Southeastern Research Libraries, USA
SPARC Europe
CLASCO: Latin America Council of Social Sciences

For more information, please contact:

Kathleen Shearer
Executive Director, COAR
www.coar-repositories.org