LIBLICENSE-L  December 2014

LIBLICENSE-L December 2014

Re: Wording in e-book purchase agreement

Wed, 3 Dec 2014 18:24:24 -0500

From: April Hathcock <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 19:45:20 -0500

Anytime we get licenses that include user terms, we always insist on
including a clause that says that we will make reasonable efforts to
make users aware of the terms of use. We never agree to police user
activity, nor do we ever agree to terms that essentially amount to an
agreement on behalf of the users (which we can't do). In a few cases,
we've agreed to license materials on which the vendor has attached a
click-through user agreement--but even then we make it clear in our
license that we're not taking any responsibility for user behavior.

You have good reason to be uncomfortable with those terms. They could
impose responsibilities on your library that you just don't want.

April

April M. Hathcock
Scholarly Communications Librarian
New York University Libraries