LIBLICENSE-L  December 2014

LIBLICENSE-L December 2014

From academic library to research library

Tue, 9 Dec 2014 19:03:50 -0500

From: Sawsan Habre <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 08:02:47 +0000

We are an academic library supporting graduate (masters) and
undergraduate programs, but we are not specifically a research
library. As we opened recently a medical school and they are thinking
of having PHD programs at our university, we have to be a library more
dedicated to research users: starting from the transformation of the
library collections, to recruiting subject librarians and more
specialized staff, to transforming liaison roles with faculty, to
providing more spaces and using adequate technologies etc.

We have to switch to a library more committed to users doing
researches (they have different needs).

The changes that occurred in technology, in research, teaching and
learning have created a very different context for the missions of
academic and research libraries.

So if any library did this transition we would be grateful to know
what the steps are, how did they operate etc.?  Does any member have
documents, articles or any experience about the shift, the switch of
academic libraries to research libraries?  I found some articles but
what I really want to know is how to start up the transition, how to
proceed. It would be great if you can share your experience with me.

thanks

Sawsan Habre
Senior Archivist
University Archives and Special Collections
961 1 786456 ext: 1345