LIBLICENSE-L  December 2014

LIBLICENSE-L December 2014

Re: Question: Modifications to Titles in Journal Packages

Sun, 21 Dec 2014 17:39:28 -0500

From: "Anderson, Helen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 21:07:33 +0000

We  review packages for cost and use if the price goes up
substantially over the expected rate of inflation.  We have cancelled
several packages and reverted to individual subscriptions because the
cost per download was borderline and the publisher kept adding new
titles that didn't relate directly to teaching or research. These
were, however, all smaller packages with less than 100 or so titles. I
have not observed this problem in connection with any of our larger
deals, although admittedly, we only have a few of them.  Presumably
the same would apply as for smaller packages.

As for content leaving a package, I would be concerned if titles key
to my University's teaching and research were being lost. Sometimes I
hear about a title moving and act by making sure that we get access
through whatever new vendor/platform has it. Sometimes, people
complain that access isn't working and we take steps to restore it by
arranging for access from the new source.

Helen

Helen Anderson
Head Collection Development
Rush Rhees Library