LIBLICENSE-L  December 2014

LIBLICENSE-L December 2014

Re: Espresso machine

Wed, 3 Dec 2014 18:19:12 -0500

From: Rick Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 01:46:49 +0000

Based on our experience with an EBM in the library at the U of Utah, I¹d
say there are three major things stopping it from enjoying more widespread
acceptance:

1. A high price (ours cost roughly $75,000 five years ago)

2. Unwillingness of publishers to make current, frontlist titles available
for printing on the EBM

3. Crappy metadata, which make books difficult to find via the EBM network.

A few years ago I wrote a brief report on our EBM experience for the
Scholarly Kitchen, and most of what I said then still applies:
http://wp.me/pcvbl-5tQ. (The comments at the end are instructive, in a
number of ways.)

---
Rick Anderson
Assoc. Dean for Scholarly Resources & Collections
Marriott Library, University of Utah