Current Liblicense Archive - STM opens community-wide consultation on article sharing

List archives since November 2011, after the list migrated to the Center for Research Libraries.

STM opens community-wide consultation on article sharing

Tue, 10 Feb 2015 19:04:04 -0500

From: Ann Shumelda Okerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 10:04:54 -0500

Of possible interest.  Ann
_______________________

STM opens community-wide consultation on article sharing

in World — February 9, 2015

http://www.stm-publishing.com/stm-opens-community-wide-consultation-on-article-sharing/

The International Association of Scientific, Technical and Medical
Publishers (STM) today opened a communitywide consultation into the
sharing of research articles. Running from 9th February until 10th
April 2015, the consultation aims to start discussion and to gain a
better understanding of the current landscape of article sharing
through scholarly collaboration networks and sites. Feedback is
invited, including input on a draft outline of voluntary principles.

STM would like to make sharing simple and seamless for academic
researchers, enhancing scholarly collaboration, while being consistent
with access and usage rights associated with journal articles. The
consultation process aims to build consensus around a commonly agreed
framework whereby all players within the community can work together
to facilitate  sharing which benefits researchers, institutions, and
society as a whole, with a core set of principles that maximises this
experience for all.

The working group convened by STM to draft the principles and seek
community input includes representatives from a number of
organisations. Project Lead Fred Dylla (CEO and Executive Director of
the American Institute of Physics) said: “We see this as a first step
in what we hope will be an ongoing collaborative process. We want to
ultimately develop practical solutions. To do that, we need to work
together with scientific collaboration networks, researchers,
libraries and publishers. We hope to get expressions of interest in
getting involved, support for the voluntary principles and feedback
that will inform our collective path forward.”

The consultation will close on 10th April 2015. STM will collate and
publish all submitted feedback on its website.

More information will be available on the STM website from the 9th February.