Re: Politico on the Pearson juggernaut

Wed, 11 Feb 2015 07:04:13 -0500

From: Richard Gottlieb <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 00:14:11 -0500

Joe, as almost always, gets it right.

Close to incompetent reporting.
Anyone who has been in publishing
for the last twenty years, caught this.

Dick Gottlieb

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 22:11:06 -0500

I don't want to defend Pearson, but surely that article in Politico
could have been fact-checked.  A good place to begin would have been
by using Pearson's own Financial Times or its half-interest in the
Economist.  Such an investigation would have revealed that Pearson is
not the owner of Penguin Random House (that must have come as a shock
to Bertelsmann) and that the statement of how Pearson really got going
in the U.S. is simply wrong, as the acquisition of the U.S.'s largest
and most profitable textbook publisher, Prentice-Hall, was already
completed.

I am sure there are a bunch of bad guys at Pearson.  But what is
Politico's defense?

Joe Esposito