Politico on the Pearson juggernaut

Thu, 12 Feb 2015 18:45:34 -0500

From: "Hamaker, Charles" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 16:49:37 +0000

Do we really want a foreign company - or any company - to have
comprehensive records , individual information at a very detailed
level on our citizens from K-12 through college and beyond. Our
children and grandchildren? Ourselves?

Personally I'm appalled, horrified and frightened at the massive
potential datamining  and uses that can go on with corporate ownership
of everything from records of misbehavior as a grade school student to
college essays and test results.

Such data can easily be used for evil, for prediction, for making
employment decisions, for tracking undesirable behaviors, or
incompatible opinions or otherwise used to impact my life.

With corporate ownership, with a corporation trying to make money out
of its assets, and one of those assets being detailed records on our
citizens, our children, our future, on me, yes, I'm terrified.

Where are the agreements to destroy (if you can) personally
identifiable information after a specific period of time, or to
protect the kid who got D's or worse in early grades from future
discrimination. Or legally binding agreements not to release any
individual information without permission from the creator or the
subject?

They don't exist as far as I know.

The often described school to prison pipeline, is an example, where
school records and behavior might be used track, categorize and judge
an individual.

But, what if mundane but in some future defined  critical behavior or
written item iwere entered in my permanent record, owned by a
corporation and used for anything from marketing to intimidation, from
embarrassment to harassment.

My perfervid rhetoric as a highschool debater, could well in today's
systems be an essay submitted to a corporation's website and stored on
its servers and hauled out (and even OWNED by the corporation
depending on the click through terms)  if I were a candidate for a
political office or a sensitive job? Or used to point fingers in a
legal action?

Such items could well be the POSESSION of a corporation in today's
"education" world. And I might never know it's in their system until a
forgotten essay or nugget of information is hauled out and placed in a
different context.

Do we really want every detail of our children's and student's lives
stored and mined by a corporation. Yes, so they are doing it with our
web posturing. But isn't this a different level, a bridge too far?

Chuck Hamaker