Re: Politico on the Pearson juggernaut

Wed, 11 Feb 2015 19:20:33 -0500

From: "Hamaker, Charles" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 13:59:51 +0000

Penguin was owned by Pearson.

Penguin and Random House owned by Bertelsmann.

They merged in 2013.

From Wikipedia:

"Penguin Random House markets itself as "the world's first truly
global trade book" publisher. It was formed on July 1, 2013, upon the
completion of an agreement between Bertelsmann and Pearson to merge
their respective trade publishing companies, Random House and Penguin,
with the parent companies owning 53% and 47%, respectively"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penguin_Random_House

Bloomberg reported last October:

"Bertelsmann, owner of 53 percent of the New York-based business,
plans to buy part or all of the 47 percent held by Pearson Plc, the
people said, asking not to be named discussing private deliberations.
While Bertelsmann and Pearson aren’t in talks, Pearson is willing to
sell and can do so starting October 2015 under a shareholder
agreement, the people said."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-10-07/bertelsmann-said-to-plan-increasing-penguin-random-house-stake

I found the article referred to very informative. I'm particularly
concerned about the vast amount of individual student data that
Pearson and other companies like Cengage collect from students logging
into their systems and what the click through licenses subject
students and even faculty to in terms of indemnifications and venues.

Regards

Chuck Hamaker

Charles Hamaker
Associate University Librarian Collection Development and Electronic Resources
J. Murrey Atkins Library
[log in to unmask] | http://library.uncc.edu