Re: Springer's special pricing for MOOCs

Mon, 16 Feb 2015 19:16:49 -0500

From: Kevin Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 23:52:20 +0000

This offer comes rather late, I'm afraid.  At least at my institution,
we are relying far less on traditional books and articles for our
MOOCs. Over the three years we have been doing these classes, the
various licenses and other grants of permission have become an
increasing obstacle; faculty keep developing creative new ways to use
their courses, and the licensing restrictions are inflexible and
cumbersome. So we are asking our MOOC instructors to use as much free
and openly licensed content as they can.  The staff member who was
assisting with permission requests now spends most of her time
locating these alternative materials.  In a couple of cases she has
helped instructors make a transition from MOOCs that relied on
commercial content for which permission had been obtained to a course
using all openly licensed materials.  Each time it was because the
licenses were time-limited or otherwise had restrictions that made
them unusable in a new environment.

I think publishers missed the boat on MOOCs; they are now one of the
most effective way for us to promote open access.

Kevin L. Smith, M.L.S., J.D.
Director, Copyright and Scholarly Communications
Duke University Libraries