Re: Politico on the Pearson juggernaut

Mon, 23 Feb 2015 11:25:40 -0500

From: Eric Hellman <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 18:13:02 -0500

> On Feb 22, 2015, at 2:03 PM, LIBLICENSE <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Debate about this may well be raging somewhere out there in the
> research libraries world.  If so, I would be grateful if any of my
> fellow Liblicense readers could direct me to that venue.

Bernie,

The "debate" is difficult because of the range of expertise needed to
understand the context- internet technology, library technology, law,
business. If you want to go deeper, consider joining the list
sponsored by The LITA Patron Privacy Technologies Interest Group
 http://lists.ala.org/wws/info/patronprivacy

The LITA Patron Privacy Technologies Interest Group promotes the
design and implementation of library software and hardware that
protects the privacy of library users and maximizes user ability to
make informed decisions about the use of personally identifiable
information by the library and its vendors.

Under this remit, activities of the Interest Group includes, but are
not necessarily limited to:
        • Publishing recommendations on data security practices for
library software.

        • Publishing tutorials on tools for libraries to use to check
that library software is handling patron information responsibly.

        • Organizing efforts to test commercially available software
that handle patron information.

        • Providing a conduit for responsible disclosure of defects in
software that could lead to exposure of library patron information.

        • Providing sample publicity materials for libraries to use
with their patrons in explaining the library’s privacy practices.

This discussion list is for the discussion of all aspect of patron
privacy as affected by the technologies that libraries use.

Eric Hellman
President, Gluejar.Inc.
Founder, Unglue.it https://unglue.it/
http://go-to-hellman.blogspot.com/