Re: Ford Foundation, OA, CC-BY

Sun, 8 Feb 2015 16:39:11 -0500

From: Jan Velterop <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 08:22:24 +0000

The Ford Foundation press release indeed says that "In certain
situations, such as when the expected product contains sensitive or
confidential material, the Creative Commons license will not be a
requirement.”

Are they thinking that non-OA publishing, i.e. behind paywalls, offers
protection to such sensitive or confidential material coming out? My
understanding is that as long as I pay the fee, I’ll have access to
the sensitive or confidential material published in paywalled media.
Is confidentiality and sensitivity perhaps only threatened if the
material ends up in the hands of the impecunious?

Clearly, allowing exceptions to the open access requirement on the
grounds of material containing sensitive or confidential information
is nonsense. Sensitive or confidential material is only kept
confidential if it’s not published, or only published internally.

Jan Velterop