Re: SciHub - Integrity of the organization - wait for your Leadership to back you

Tue, 1 Mar 2016 17:28:30 -0500

From: Todd Puccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 14:55:17 +0000

Thanks, Ann.

If we are trying to say that there are things more important than
money, then why would use the excuse of saving money as a reason to
skirt the law ?

Librarians (generally) are not free agents.  We have been hired by our
organization to obtain the literary and informational access that our
organization needs to function.  We are tasked to do so within the
bounds of our organization's mission.  This includes certain
restraints such as budgets; and also integrity and legal structures.

If that literary and informational access is expensive -- so be it - -
that is the cost of doing business.  If we want to make better
negotiated deals, go ahead.

Please remember that we conduct our business as an agent of our
organization; everything we do represents that organization.

Would any of you suggest that any other corporation or non-profit go
out and buy any other business supplies from the black market ?  Or
pick them off the street because they fell out of a truck ?

Civil disobedience is fine, as an individual.  Sure, go stand up, protest.

* I don't believe that our larger organizations have given us
permission to conduct an act of civil disobedience on behalf of the
whole organization.

Please practice some integrity and self-discipline.  Saving money is
not the only priority.

Unless the President of your university is willing to make an
announcement on the cover of _The Chronicle of Higher Education_ that
your organization is going to take a stand and act in civil
disobedience by accepting SciHub articles ... I would highly recommend
that any Faculty and Staff not do so.

Thank You

--
Todd Puccio
Director of Technical Services / Librarian