Gale usage data and trends

Thu, 10 Mar 2016 19:47:54 -0500

From: "McKeown, Karen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 21:36:16 +0000

Hi Ann, I want to respond to the last post on the listserv about Gale
usage data  from Ian Singer at Credo which has a thread including
Libby Cass, Mark Henhauser, and Heather Reid.  Here is the response I
wanted to provide in the hopes it helps with understanding usage
trends.

Thanks, Ian, for endorsing us as a solid partner and testifying to the
fact that Gale is a company of very, very decent people!  (how can we
consider you a “competitor” when you say such nice things?)

As for the recent questions about usage reporting, here is some detail
to provide insight into the usage trends across Gale products over
time.  Prior to January 2014, retrievals and full-text retrievals
included those from federated search engines, meaning that when a
federated search engine searched Gale resources, it logged a retrieval
for each article it brought back to the user, regardless if the user
clicked to view the article.  From January to March 2014, Gale made a
couple of changes to better reflect actual usage: 1)  the
implementation of changes to ensure compliance with COUNTER 4
standards and 2) the removal of retrievals from federating searches.
Usage since that time frame reflects only when a user clicks to view
retrievals.  We hope this helps! If you would like more information,
our Customer Success team is happy to discuss

Thanks,

Karen

Karen Resch McKeown
Director, Product Discovery, Usage and Analytics
Gale | Cengage Learning
27500 Drake Road, Farmington Hills, MI 48331-3535
(o) 800-877-4253 ext. 8438 | (e) [log in to unmask] | (m) 248-826-7533
www.gale.cengage.com