Re: Biologists go the preprint route?

Wed, 23 Mar 2016 20:51:31 -0400

From: Ari Belenkiy <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 23:48:45 -0700

David,

While you skillfully described the situation, you have used the word
"verification" too lightheartedly.

In fact, a proper academic publication leaves no gaps, so NO
subsequent verification is needed -- though true, there is a little
chance that the referees miss an error (though rarely a blunder!).

So the arxiv publication, without a proper supervision, I repeat, put
Perelman in a precarious situation where any "as it is well-known"
claims became a prey for the competitors - who subsequently claimed
credit for themselves.

Yes, when the "Millennium" prize was assigned to him, Perelman
objected that Hamilton must be credited as well, but his refusal to
accept the Fields medal was unsubstantiated - he did not explain his
refusal properly.

Ari Belenkiy