LIBLICENSE-L  August 2017

LIBLICENSE-L August 2017

Re: A controversial article

Tue, 1 Aug 2017 20:33:41 -0400

From: "Smith, Kevin L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2017 13:09:13 +0000

If we are speculating about alternative futures, can't we also imagine
a world in which it is Elsevier, Wiley and Springer that cease to
exist, or at least cease to dominate the landscape for academic work,
and something like Sci-Hub would serve as the central distribution
point for that work?  It is not really hard to imagine Sci-Hub as a
legal service, imo, working directly with those same scholars who are
already using it as a major source of scholarly output.

Kevin

Kevin L. Smith, J.D.
Dean of Libraries
University of Kansas