LIBLICENSE-L  August 2017

LIBLICENSE-L August 2017

Re: Incompetence vs. deception (Re: Beall speaks)

Mon, 7 Aug 2017 19:03:02 -0400

From: Alex Holzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2017 20:38:25 -0400

It's easy to characterize scam journal APCs as nuisances from a
library point of view.  But to the faculty member who has no
institutional resources to help pay those charges and very limited
resources of their own, and who perhaps is also unaware that the
journal in question is of very low quality, predatory APCs might
constitute a lot more than a nuisance.

On the other hand, there would at best be extremely limited incentives
to the "super-profits" to create journals as poor as those created by
the crooks perpetrating OA scams.  If you're selling a suite of
journals and the world--meaning faculty/researchers and
librarians--figures it out, then it becomes that much easier to do
away with the entire package.  There is at least some semblance of a
self-correcting mechanism in place.  No such thing exists for the OA
scammers, who, if a journal is discredited, can just start a new one
with a legitimate-sounding name.  You're quite right that the impact
on the library budget is minimal, almost nothing, but especially for
scholars in cash-poor countries or institutions I suspect the impact
can be much larger than a nuisance.

Alex Holzman