LIBLICENSE-L  August 2017

LIBLICENSE-L August 2017

Re: HIRMEOS Newsletter 2 - August 2017

Tue, 15 Aug 2017 18:45:56 -0400

From: "Bertino, Andrea Christian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 13:04:07 +0000

Hello Anthony,

HIRMEOS is a project funded by the EU at the request of the already
mentioned partners. The project consortium remains the same for the
entire duration of the project. But of course, the HIRMEOS project is
open to cooperation with other publishers, whether profit-oriented or
not. In addition, all interested nonprofit publishers can request to
become partner of the OPERAS infrastructure.

Best

Andrea

*******

From: Anthony Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 09:50:12 +0100
Thanks Andrea. I did have some offline help .

I am still puzzled by the idea that a project concerned with open
scholarship should not have (apparently) any relationship with most
publishers of open access books even in Europe but if it is primarily
providing an infrastructure I can see that publishing ventures
(otherwise unsustainable) might need such help.

I notice that Cambridge University Press and Oxford University Press
already provide such infrastructures just to mention two European
initiatives. Are they integrated into other European infrastructures?

Anthony

*******

From: "Bertino, Andrea Christian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 12:59:21 +0000
Dear Anthony,

I am delighted about your interest in our Project. Here are some more
details about the project environment.

The HIRMEOS Project supports OPERAS, a distributed Research
Infrastructure project for open scholarly communication. OPERAS main
goal is to introduce the principle of Open Science and ensure
effective dissemination and global access to research results in the
Social Sciences and Humanities. The OPERAS network as of now has 21
partners and is coordinated by OpenEdition. You can find More
information on the OPERAS website:    www.operas-eu.org

HIRMEOS Consortium is composed of 9 partners committed to the open
access academic book publishing sector at different levels:
publication platforms, publishers, academic institutions, European
infrastructures (OpenAire through Gottingen University  and the
advisory board, Dariah), service providers through the advisory board.
Publishers (Ubiquity Press, Open Book Publishers, Göttingen University
Press) bring their expertise in academic publishing. European
infrastructures (OpenAire and  Dariah) will ensure perfect integration
of the project into the European open access policy and its strategy
regarding research. The three publishers involved are complementary as
OBP and UP represent a new generation of academic publishers, digital
first, fully open access, exploring new avenues for a major change in
the scholarly communication system. Göttingen University Press has to
deal with more traditional stakeholders from its position as a
library-based university press.

Our Platforms (Oapen Library, OpenEdition Books, Ubiquity Press, EKT
Open Book Press) bring their expertise as e-infrastructures which have
to deal with large collections of documents and important databases.
One of their primary missions is to give maximum visibility and
discoverability to the content they disseminate and work with the most
important scientific information service providers worldwide to that
purpose. It is to be noted that OpenEdition Books and EKT Open Book
Press are national infrastructures and that OAPEN Library has current
projects with major European research funders (ERC, FWF, FNRS,
Wellcome Trust).

I hope this information will be helpful to you. If you have any
further questions do not hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards

Andrea Bertino