LIBLICENSE-L  August 2017

LIBLICENSE-L August 2017

Building Directories for African American Newspapers and LGBT Newspapers

Thu, 24 Aug 2017 16:28:43 -0400

From: Judy Luther <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 14:48:13 +0000

Katherine Skinner at Educopia is working on behalf of DPLA to create
open directories for collections of African American Newspapers and
LGBT Newspapers.  Please share with the appropriate staff at your
institution.  Links below enable participation in this project.

We know that our choices as archivists, librarians, and curators
matter. The historical record is largely shaped by what we gather,
what we provide access to, and whose voices we preserve.

In this moment, we want to ignite the power and passion of libraries,
archives, and museums to amplify voices that have too often gone
unheard in this country.

Together with you all, we seek to create two new, open resources:

AN OPEN DIRECTORY OF AFRICAN AMERICAN NEWSPAPERS AND PERIODICALS
AN OPEN DIRECTORY OF LGBT NEWSPAPERS AND PERIODICALS

Participation is easy.

Educopia Institute, in partnership with DPLA, has created two surveys
to capture information about your holdings in these two areas.  We
need libraries, archives, and museums of ALL sizes and types to
contribute simple metadata about your holdings using these survey
instruments.  The content you hold matters--whether it is a single
page or full runs, and whether it is print, microfiche, or digital. It
needs to be represented.

We know this is a big project. We also know the perfect is the enemy
of the good. We’re not looking for perfection, just for participation.

Please join us!

Survey instrument for African American newspapers and periodicals:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NewsOnTheMargins_AFAM

Survey instrument for LGBT newspapers and periodicals:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NewsOnTheMargins_LGBT

SURVEYS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 30, 2017.

For more information about the project, please contact Katherine
Skinner using the contact information below.

Katherine Skinner, PhD
Executive Director, Educopia Institute
http://educopia.org

Working from Greensboro, NC