From: Jill Emery <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 10:11:32 -0700

Hello Liblicense-l Community,

As an information professional, it does bother me when a simple fact check
is not undertaken. In light of this frustration, I just wanted to make this
point in reply to Sandy Thatcher.

[snip from Sandy Thatcher's post]

It would be interesting to know what "experience" Mr. Gupta has had that
allows him to pass judgment on the "business practices" of U.S. presses.
Has he ever worked at one? Has he ever had access to the AAUP operating
statistics reports that are produced annually?

[snip]

Bear in mind, I'm responding to this post as a librarian and not as a
publishing professional. If you were to perform a simple Google search for
"Nawin Gupta" the first entry given is for LinkedIn which even in public
view allows you to note that Mr. Gupta has worked as the "Journal Division
Manager for the University of Chicago Press." Perhaps I am missing out on
what appear to be several layers of innuendo in the snippet from the
appear that Mr. Gupta has "experience" that allows him to pass judgement on
the "business practices" of U.S. presses since it does appear he has worked
at one. I write that in full understanding that in the U.S., one state has
the right not to recognize rulings of another state so perhaps what I'm
missing is something along these lines where one previous state university
press employee does not recognize there being other university press
employees from other regions of the country. Furthermore, I suspect, Mr.
Gupta has had access to the AAUP operating statistics reports given this
previous position.

Jill Emery