From: "Gurman, Diane" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 19:55:08 +0000

Hi all.

I recently came across a situation that was new to me, and was
wondering if anyone else had seen anything like it.  A South Korean
company called Nurimedia has a 2-tier pricing model for their content.
The price for a journal subscription without perpetual access is
$4,500.  However, if you want perpetual access (which our library
requires), the cost is $1.1 million.  (I confirmed that this was not a
joke or error in translation—it really is 1.1 million U.S. dollars.)

We will not be subscribing or purchasing. I consider this price
difference to be not only unconscionable but insulting to libraries.
Please let me know what you think.

Thank you,

Diane Gurman
Scholarly Communication and Licensing Librarian
UCLA