I would be astonished to discover that self-citation is restricted to OA
publications, so Kevin and I find ourselves in the unfamiliar situation of
agreeing with one another.  But there is a different question buried here:
 is the problem self-citation or the inclusion of self-citation in
measuring impact?  I would think that self-citation is a natural act, like
admiring your own children, but there is no reason to include these
citations in measuring impact.

Joe Esposito

--
Joseph J. Esposito