From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 19:45:46 -0500

There is no inconsistency about having OA articles or journals licensed
through the CCC if the version of OA being used is CC-BY-NC, anymore than
there is anything inconsistent about an OA publisher of monographs online
selling POD versions of these monographs. Being OA does not exclude all
markets.  For-profit corporations wishing to make use of the articles and
publishers wishing to include articles in anthologies sold in print form
can license these paid uses through the CCC.

It should also be noted that the CCC receives monies from other RROs
overseas that do copying of U.S. copyrighted works registered with the CCC
and often this copying only identifies the journal title, not the specific
article(s) copied, so the monies cannot be distributed to individual
authors, but only to the owner of the journal. Even though BMCR holds no
copyright in the individual articles, it still holds copyright in the
journal as a collective work.

Sandy Thatcher